Monday, March 21, 2011

Flower Show

This past week I had the chance to check out the Flower Show here in Boston with my mother-in-law. To my surprise, the place was packed! I had a great time perusing the vendors and numerous displays. I was able to take a bunch of photos with my fancy new iPhone and gather a bunch of great ideas for the upcoming season. I thought it would be fun to post my findings with pictures and use what I saw as inspiration for my future designs.

This first set of pictures were of a display set up as a garden part table. There were several elements which I thought would be fun for an outdoor wedding:

Baskets on the back of chairs filled with trailing ivy and copper plant stakes a name tags. LOVED this idea. So simple and CHEAP especially if you used potted ivy! Perfect for a small intimate wedding.

Planter used for an ice bucket! LOVE

Tiny little arrangements that look like cupcakes to bring color to the table. Given height when placed on cake pedestal.

Table was covered in tiny rocks... not good for children.... but cool nonetheless!



The next two pictures are just cool arangements... Obviously I love anything with logs and sticks. I dont know what my obsession is but I am just drawn to it. You should see my house. WAY more sticks then one should have inside! :)




So this next one is clearly not a flower, but this owl was one of the coolest things I have seen in awhile. I have never seen an owl in person before. I couldn't tell if I thought it was cute or scary. The beak and eyes on it said "I am going to eat you" but for some reason I thought I was cute. Maybe because my daughter's room is covered in owls! 

Here are a few window box examples. My mother-in-law has the most beautiful gardens at her home and always has GORGEOUS, lush window boxes, so this display was particularly exciting for her. I have 3 window boxes on the balcony of our small condo patio - so these provided some nice inspiration for those as well. 




So as for these next pictures, this was vendor display that was selling these really unique and cool "stem vases". I loved these things and thought the displays were really creative. I would LOVE to use something like this for a wedding. Perhaps down the center of a long table... my mind started spinning at the possiblities and I was ready to buy a bunch of them for my inventory. So I asked how.... $85 bucks for the smallest one!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? No Thanks! I am sure I can figure out some way to construct a similar container for WAY less money.....
 regardless - I loved the simplicity of the display and it really highlighted the beauty of the individual bloom.

The whole display

Gerbera Daisies

Gladiolus

Lemons and Rosemary - LOVED THIS!!

Daffodils


Sticks, Bear grass and Billyballs



These are just some suction cup vases that I thought were really cute. Nothing overly new or wild... just cute.



Making a big play this season in weddings are these deco water beads. These things are so cool. If you havent seen them, you add water and they blow up into jelly-like marbles that hold the water. Then you add your floral stems and the beads hydrate the flowers. So cool and obviously the range of colors available would be fun for weddings! 



Gratuitous picture of the baby and my mother-in-law. ( It was St. Paddy's Day - I don't dress her like that all the time :) )


These next pictures of this thing called the STACK-IT-ALL. My MIL bought 4 of them to use for clay pots out in front of her front door. I think they are going to look great. I also loved how they used the baskets... I thought this would be really cool in a bathroom or even as a house warming gift!!




 Lastly - the rest of the pictures were all part of the design competition. Each had different criteria - table settings, orange theme, "green" design, and many others. Just fun to walk around check out what people come up with!



















Wow - so maybe my longest blog post to date - definitely picture wise! I am feeling super inspired lately so please stay tuned as I have many more posts to come!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment